- At war with the woke: A fresh perspective makes the same tired argumentsby Elie Mystal on November 26, 2021 at 1:00 pm
In ‘Woke Racism,’ Black linguist John McWhorter takes issue with those set on fighting oppression
- When the drugs get stronger, the stories get sadder and the solutions more elusiveby David Herzberg on November 26, 2021 at 1:00 pm
Sam Quinones’s latest book, ‘The Least of Us,’ comes with some dark conclusions about people with addiction
- After 200,000 years, we’re still trying to figure out what humanity is all aboutby Annalee Newitz on November 26, 2021 at 1:00 pm
In “The Dawn of Everything,” two scientists set out to discover where inequality began
- What happens when the administration is hinged on the unhinged?by Mary Ellen Curtin on November 26, 2021 at 1:00 pm
In ‘Betrayal,’ journalist Jonathan Karl dissects what led to Trump’s election loss and the ensuing violence
- Ann Patchett’s ‘These Precious Days’ is a beautiful reminder of what’s importantby Michele Filgate on November 26, 2021 at 11:43 am
Patchett’s collection is built around an essay she wrote about an unexpected friendship.
- Washington Post hardcover bestsellersby Michele Filgate on November 24, 2021 at 12:05 pm
A snapshot of popular books.
- ‘True Grit’ is a modern classic, but it’s not the only great work by Charles Portisby Michael Dirda on November 24, 2021 at 12:00 pm
I binge-read Portis’s books — “Norwood,” “The Dog of the South” and more. They offered just the lift I needed.
- How spirituality shaped Leonard Cohenby David Kirby on November 24, 2021 at 12:00 pm
Harry Freedman’s new book explores the religious influences on Leonard Cohen’s music.
- Robert Bly, towering American poet, dies at 94by Emily Langer on November 24, 2021 at 3:56 am
He distilled the passions of the antiwar movement into poetry during the Vietnam War and later, with his bestselling book “Iron John,” awakened a movement of men in search of deeper masculinity.
- Neal Stephenson’s ‘Termination Shock’ is another prescient page-turnerby Paul Di Filippo on November 23, 2021 at 1:00 pm
In his latest thriller, a geoengineering scheme to save the planet goes awry.